Painting: Series Development
January 12, 2022
In this 12-week course, students will focus on developing a unified series of paintings. Guided research assignments using photography, drawing and creative writing will lead to the cultivation of each student’s own topic of choice. Series topics will include formal and conceptual investigations such as use of materials, composition, structure and the development of ideas. Course includes examples of contemporary and modern artists who work in thematic ways, along with assigned readings, weekly critiques and opportunities to share research processes. If you are an artist with a million ideas swirling around, or if you simply don’t know where to begin, this course will help you to understand the connections in your life that can lead to the creation of a cohesive body of work. In addition to developing a series, students will learn how to write an artist statement and prepare a submission for an artist residency or gallery. Students can work in a painting media of their choice: acrylic, watercolour, gouache or oil. Some painting experience is recommended.
Wednesdays 2pm – 5pm, Jan 12 – Apr 06 Online Delivery
Tuition: $425.00 (36 hrs)
Items required for the first class:
The first class will be spent discussing how to develop a series. We will look at work of other artists and discuss the process of source material gathering, research, development of an idea and fulfilment of a goal.
- 12 related images: developed prints/digital print-outs/magazine images/posters/etc. Your images should hold some personal importance, although how they are related is up to you.
- 9 x12” or larger sketchbook (preferably the kind with rings so pages can lie flat)
- pencil (HB), eraser
Additional items to be discussed during the first class:
Bring the usual materials you use to paint with (Items listed below are just suggestions)
- paints (oil, acrylics, watercolour or gouache) in a range of colours (including warm and cool yellow, warm and cool red, warm and cool blue, one green, one orange, one violet, one black and large tube of white (for oil or acrylic)
- matte medium (acrylic) / odourless mineral spirits and walnut or linseed oil (oil)
- variety of brushes suited to your choice of paint
- surfaces to paint on (canvas, panel or paper, depending on paint choice). You will need at least 8 surfaces for this course.
- palette knife
- x-acto blade
- paint apron
- large container or jar for water