Let’s Paint a Herring Gull Art Class | Hosted by VVAF with Rose Tanner
February 06, 2021
The Vancouver Visual Art Foundation invites you to get creative with our new Online Art Class Series. We will feature professional artists to teach their passion through a new and exciting online format.
DATE: Sat, February 6, 2021
TIME: 6:30PM – 8:30PM
TICKET: $28.90 – $34.47
Let’s Paint a Herring Gull
Let’s paint a Herring Gull. By the end of this class, you will know how to create realistic birds. This live class also focuses on brushwork, edges, texture and how to make white, colourful.
The class is for beginning/intermediate oil painters (acrylic painters welcome) Discover how to paint feathers, realistic eyes and beaks. Learn how to work with photographs and draw using the grid method or use your computer as a lightbox. You will also learn how to create a Rembrandt style background.
Students are expected to provide their own supplies in order to participate.
I recommend using the best possible materials even as a beginner, it makes the painting process easier.
- Oil Paint Windsor & Newton: Titanium White, Cadmium Yellow Deep, Cadmium Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Transparent Oxide Brown, Cobalt Blue, Viridian, Cadmium Yellow Deep, Permanent Rose or Permanent Alizarin Crimson
- Brushes (buy the Best quality brushes, it will make your painting process easier): 2 – 3 Fine Detail, Round Brushes – Small sizes, 1 Small Soft Blender Brush; 3 – 4 Flat Brushes – Small, Medium and Large Sizes; 1 Medium Soft Blender Brush 1 Medium Soft Blender Fan Brush, 1 Comber or Grass Brush
- Panel or Canvas Best Quality : 9 x 12
- Gamsol for brush Cleaning
- Walnut Oil (optional)
- Paper Towels
- Palette and Palette Knife
- Paint scraper
Rose Tanner is an award-winning artist who loves the outdoors and studying birds. She is dedicated to portraying her subjects using traditional oil painting techniques, but she believes it’s her attention to their inner being that gives them their lifelike quality in her paintings. She travels widely for her subjects and is active in supporting endangered birds and their habitat. Rose volunteers as a juror for the Federation of Canadian Artist (FCA) and sits on the FCA Victoria Board of Directors. She teaches online workshops and enjoys sharing her knowledge of realistic colour mixing.
The Vancouver Visual Art Foundation is a not-for-profit organization that connects, inspires and educates visual arts communities.