Kids’ Art Exhibit 2020
October 01, 2020 - October 14, 2020
Artists aged 0–12 and 13–18 are invited to join us for the Opus Kids’ Art Exhibit!
Create your portrait (or other work) in any medium, then return it to Opus Art Supplies and display your artwork in a pop-up gallery at your local Opus store!
Pick up an 8” × 8” Buzz Canvas Panel for a minimum donation of $1* beginning August 16 from an Opus near you. Return your completed artwork by September 30 to have it displayed.
Submissions due September 30
CALLING ALL SCHOOL TEACHERS:
Get your school involved! Invite your class or your whole school to participate and get everyone in on the fun!
School classes from recognized Canadian educational institutions who create and exhibit their artwork either at their school or online will be entered to win a class pack valued at over $1,000.
Spread the word about the Kids Art Exhibit with your students, schoolmates and friends – click here to download a printable poster today!
Nurture & encourage the young artists in your life with the chance to have their work shown at their local Opus store!
Young artists are invited to show their work in a pop-up gallery at their local Opus October 1–14, 2020 during our Annual Opus Kids’ Art Exhibit.
Open to artists aged 0–12 and 13–18. Pick up your panels beginning August 16 online or at an Opus near you!
Bonus: All budding artists who display a piece at the exhibit at their local Opus store will be entered into a free draw for a chance to win one of three $50 Opus Gift Cards, or to have their exhibited work custom-framed to their specifications!
Watch Art in the Garden, filmed at David and Aubin van Berckel’s Bowen Island home, and discover how having an outlet to express themselves can unleash a child’s hidden potential and give them agency in the world around them.
For a minimum donation of $1*, you can pick up a 8″×8″ Buzz Canvas Panel for kids to create their piece. Panels will be available at your local Opus starting August 16, 2019. The subject, style and medium of the art created on the panels are up to the artist – we encourage all to explore their creativity and have fun!
Completed works must be submitted to Opus by September 30.
The public are invited to view the Kids’ Art Exhibit between October 1–14, 2020, and show their support for the youngest members of their creative community.
The Opus Kids’ Art Exhibit has been a very successful and enjoyable event in our Langley location for over 10 years and in 2012 we introduced this creative opportunity at all of our stores. We look forward to displaying this year’s work and invite you to join us October 1–14 at your local Opus store to take in this extraordinary exhibition of young talent. See you there!
“Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up.” – Pablo Picasso
The 8″×8″ Buzz Canvas Panel surface has limitless potential to showcase young artsists’ work. Here are a few ideas to get the ball rolling:
- Think outside the box: Try adding items from around the house and back yard! Explore using buttons, yarn, pennies, macaroni, leaves, cotton balls, or anything else that sparks creativity!
- Try working on paper – drawing, painting, collage, air dry clay – then mounting the artwork to the panel.
- Use different grounds or gessos to prep the surface some more; Golden White Absorbent Ground is ideal for the older artist and black gesso can look great with fluorescent colours overtop.
- Chromatemp, Chromacryl, Funstuff paints, and Opus Buzz Acrylic paints are all suitable for kids. With using any acrylic paint, it is recommended that children ages 4 and up be well covered with a smock or an old large shirt.
- To keep the mess to a minimum, opt for washable markers. Pair with the Bee Artist Marker Pad and watch the creative magic unfold!
- Explore our Crafts & Decoration section and find pipe cleaners, glitter glue, pom-poms, googly eyes, popsicle sticks, and more!