Call for Artists: Other Ways of Knowing
March 31, 2022
Outsiders and Others is seeking work for an exhibition in their window gallery in May 2022, coinciding with World Mental Health Awareness Month. This call is open to BC artists with lived experience of mental health and/or substance use issues.
Art can provide a deeper understanding of the lived experience of mental health and substance use issues – both for artists themselves and for the viewer.
This exhibition aims to step beyond limiting societal perceptions of artists with lived experience of mental health and/or substance use issues. It will showcase a curated selection of works by artists with lived experience of these issues – artists whose narratives are often left out, misrepresented, or misunderstood.
For Other Ways of Knowing, we are looking for work that expresses realities of the lived experience of mental health and/or substance use issues in ways that are unique and evocative, and that resonate beyond the personal. Submissions may be as varied as the many ways these issues can impact an individual.
This exhibition will be co-curated by Yuri Arajs, the Director/Curator of Outsiders and Others, and Seema Shah, an artist with lived experience of mental health issues.
- Open to BC artists with lived experience of mental health +/- substance use issues only.
- Self-taught artists will be given priority, as this is the gallery’s mandate, but we encourage any artist to apply who fits the criteria of the exhibition.
- Accepting 2D & 3D visual art in any media. Maximum width = 46 inch
- There is no fee to submit.
- Exhibiting artists will be paid an exhibition honorarium.
- The gallery retains a 25% commission on sales.
Deadline: March 31st. Artists will be notified of the curators’ decision by April 8th
For details on how to apply, please visit https://www.outsidersandothers.com/professional-artistic-growth-made-access
March 31, 2022