- Online Store
- Custom Canvas, Stretcher Frames, & Panels
- Fine Art Digital Printing & Mounting
- DIY Picture Framing
- Shopping at Opus Stores
- Shopping Online & By Phone
- Save as an Opus PLUS Member
- Visiting Artist Demonstrations
- How-to Library
- Classroom Space Rental
- Community Workshops & Classes
- Opus Visual Arts Newsletter
- Business-to-Business Services
- Art Education & School Accounts
- Community Support & Donations Program
- Art & Community News
- Locations & Ordering Info
Opus Daily Practice Challenge
We challenge you to challenge yourself to … Just Practice! The #OpusDailyPractice Challenge begins February 1, 2015 but you can start (or pick it up again!) any time!
Scheduling in even 5 minutes a day of creative time can have outstanding results. Paint, print, photograph, sculpt, draw, or doodle! Whatever your medium of choice, we encourage you to find your focus, get started and share your progress!
Join our 28 Days of Daily Practice and take inspiration from fellow artists and our daily creative prompts on social media.
There is only one rule: create something everyday! Join us for links and posts by Opus Staff Members and other artist who are taking the challenge with you. Add #OpusDailyPractice to your tweets, posts, and conversations, and we’ll share your stories with our audience, too!
Share your #OpusDailyPractice by tweeting it on Twitter, snapping a photo with Instagram, pinning on Pinterest, or share with your closest friends on Facebook. We encourage everyone to join us in this challenge!
PSSST ... need some help getting started?
Here are 3 steps to get you in the practicing groove!
1. Watch our video Just Practice, featuring Copic master Jayleen Weaver.
2. Read our Just Practice Article which will give you a solid game plan for making your practice happen.
3. Check out the inspiring links to creative challenges below featuring fellow artists sharing their process and progress for getting the creative ideas flowing on a regular basis.
PROJECTS & INSPIRATION
1. CREATIVE UNBLOCK: 12 MONTHS, 12 CREATIVE PROJECTS
Projects Posted Monthly – thejealouscurator.com
– Break on through! Join The Jealous Curator Danielle Krysa’s monthly challenge to follow the creative unblocking exercises in her best–selling book, Creative Block. thejealouscurator.com/blog/2015/01/03/creativeunblock-no-1/#creativeunblock
2. ILLUSTRATION FRIDAY
Topics Posted Weekly
– Illustration Friday is a weekly drawing challenge brought to you by Illustration Age. Every Friday a new topic is posted and you have one week to come up with your own unique interpretation and share it on their home page. BONUS: The Past Topics Archive is a treasure trove of creative prompts. illustrationfriday.com
– Enter the hashtag #BlackandWhitePhotoChallenge into the Search bar of any search engine or social media platform and you’ll find a viral photo project that is both challenging and easy to do! Challenge yourself to post a B&W photo for 5 days, then nominate 5 of your friends to the same! #BlackandWhitePhotoChallenge
4. Inspiration: 365 days of Hand Lettering
Lisa Congdon – lisacongdon.com
– Lisa Congdon is often cited as a huge inspiration – visit her blog and you’ll see why. Take inspiration from her famed 365 Days of Hand Lettering Project for your own Just Practice Challenge. TIP: Start at lisacongdon.com/blog/category/365-days-of-hand-lettering/page/25/ to see the how the project changes from Day 1 through to Day 365.
5. Daily Art Challenges
– Looking for inspiration for your Just Practice challenge? Check out the virtual cork board offered on Pinterest! A quick search on this sharing site will yield countless numbers of personal art challenges, hand–picked by other creative seekers.
pinterest.com - enter the terms “daily art challenges” into the search bar.
6. 21 Day Drawing Challenge Course
Available Online Anytime
– Improve your drawing skills and creative thinking, whether you’re an expert or novice. Instructor Von Glitschka will assign you a drawing challenge for each day. Take the time you need to finish each challenge, and then watch the video where Von shares his own hand–drawn solution. BONUS: The chapter on inspiring drawers features movie profiles of artists such as Kate Bingaman Burt and Mattias Adolfsson. lynda.com
And a BONUS!
If you’re having a day where you’re undecided on what to depict, just check out our list below of 28 daily prompts or visit us on Twitter. Search #BasicCreativePrompt or #IntermediateCreativePrompt and see how other artists have approached the daily prompts!
Day 1: Umbrella
Day 2: Crows or other Birds
Day 3: Face
Day 4: Cat
Day 5: Unicorn
Day 6: Group of people
Day 7: Creatures
Day 8: Robots
Day 9: Spaceships – retro, futuristic, real
Day 10: Moth, Butterfly or Insect
Day 11: Elephant
Day 12: Spoon
Day 13: Scissors
Day 14: Your favourite type of Weather
Day 15: A found object
Day 16: Feather
Day 17: Cross section of a piece of Fruit
Day 18: Something yellow
Day 19: Flower blossom
Day 20: Pomegranate
Day 21: Walrus
Day 22: Egg
Day 23: Clouds
Day 24: Your favourite building
Day 25: Globe
Day 26: Pickle
Day 27: Iceberg
Day 28: A pattern
Day 1: Illustrate a sound
Day 2: Draw the most recent or interesting dream you’ve had
Day 3: The art materials you’re using now
Day 4: Illustrate your hands
Day 5: Draw a tree without looking at your page
Day 6: Choose a theorem or concept and depict it in a beautiful or meaningful way
Day 7: Draw a picture of your friend, family member or idol with your non-dominant hand
Day 8: Use a blob to your advantage: spill, pour or stamp something random onto your page, and then turn it into a creature or beastie
Day 9: Draw your favourite childhood toy from memory. Then reference a photo so you have a side–by–side comparison
Day 10: Draw your favourite letter or number with your non–dominant hand, then illustrate it with our dominant hand. If you’re ambidextrous, try something wacky like holding the pen in your mouth or with your foot!
Day 11: Pick a famous painting and draw it in one continuous line
Day 12: Wherever you are when you begin your practice, look around and depict what will happen next, realistic or fantastical
Day 13: Illustrate or depict your favourite quote, typographically or literally
Day 14: Your favourite facial feature or complete self–portrait
Day 15: Create new album cover artwork for your favourite music
Day 16: Pick a book off your shelf and illustrate a sentence from the 3rd sentence on page 20
Day 17: Draw a bird that is native to your hometown
Day 18: Depict a classic iconic Hollywood scene or image
Day 19: Draw yourself drawing
Day 20: An heirloom
Day 21: Depict your ideal retreat (real or fantasy)
Day 22: The view from the perspective of something extremely small (or large)
Day 23: Your pet
Day 24: Illustrate your feet
Day 25: Your favourite article of clothing or footwear
Day 26: A mythical creature (from a fairy tale, a myth, or invent a new one)
Day 27: Snack or meal you had today (or wish you did)
Day 28: Your form of transportation (car, bike, foot, hot air balloon?)
Tag your daily practice Instagram posts with #OpusDailyPractice and search #OpusDailyPractice to see what others are doing!